Do you travel or stay put? Do you mix and mingle with strangers or stick to your bubbles? Do you book things in advance – what if there’s another massive outbreak or lock down?
Planning anything this year has been fairly difficult, and with everyone wanting to get back to some sense of normalcy mixed in with the uncertainty that comes with releasing delta into the wild, it’s not uncommon if you’re feeling a little Bah-Humbug about the holiday season.
So, how can you bring that festive cheer back into your life?
Focus on what brings you joy.
From blasting Michael Buble, putting up twinkle lights, making eggnog, or sitting down and watching Home Alone for the umpteenth time with a big bowl of popcorn…take a moment to remind yourself about all the small things that make you feel good, bring you joy, or make this time of year feel special to you.
- How can you start bringing these small pleasures into your life over the next few weeks?
- What does this look like?
Shift your expectations.
Often we get too caught up on traditions, and how things ‘should’ be, that when situations change we think everything’s turned to custard.
If you can’t do your ‘normal’ Christmas this year, rather than focusing on this as a negative how can you shift your expectations? What if different opened up possibility for something great and unexpected! Take a moment and check in:
- What’s important to you about Christmas and the holiday season?
- What are you wanting to do and experience during your break?
- How can you be flexible in achieving this?
Clear up A’s to your Q’s.
Humans are obsessed with knowing the answers to things, yet this can become an issue when elements are outside of our control, as we start ruminating over things we can’t change. Therefore, if you find yourself fixating on questions that don’t have clear answers yet, stop and reflect on the following:
- What’s making me feel uncertain here?
- Does this realistically need to be looked into/answered right now, or can it wait until the new year?
- What’s one thing I can do, that’s within my control, to bring a sense of certainty to this?
- What do I need to release in order to move forward?
Have a wonderful and safe holiday,
All my love,